Friday, August 22, 2008

OLYMPIC GLORY

The Olympic creed, "It is not to win, but to take part."

I have been totally enveloped in the olympic games these last two weeks. I love to watch the comptition, but just as much, I love the stories of the individual athletes. They put so much dedication into training for years so they can go to the olympics and compete with the best in the world. Some come from backgrounds of extensive training from the time they are small, and some come from the streets, but they all have one thing in common... drive. Not only is it about the competition, it is about the pride of wearing your countries letters on your shirt knowing everyone back home is cheering you on. I was caught off guard many times to find myself getting choked up as I watched athletes from our country lose, or win. My favorite moments of the games...

Kobe Bryant was asked if patriotism being cool was a thing of the past and he said, "It's still cool to me. I'm proud to represent the United States."

Of course Michael Phelps in every race.

Nastia Liukin taking gold and Shawn Johnson taking silver in the all-around.

Shawn Johnson finally getting her gold on the balance beam, the very last event. They showed her mom in the stands crying and the commentator told how Shawn's parents has mortgaged their house so that she could continue to train for the olympics.

Misty May and Kerri Walsh winning the gold, the first ever sand volleyball team to do it two olympics in a row. It brought a ton of emotion when Misty May scattered some of her mother's ashes on the court after the inital celebrating of the gold was over.

My heart broke for LoLo Jones. In her race she pulled out in the lead and it looked like she would win the gold metal. After nicking the 2nd to last hurdle, she was unable to place at all. They later showed her standing under the stadium alone and just crying.

Dara Torres, 41 year old, mother of two showed extreme sportsmanship by holding up a race while a fellow competitor went and changed out of a ripped swimsuit. Dara, the oldest woman to compete in olympic swimming, won the silver.

Jason Lezak anchored the 4 x 100 meter freestyle for the US. It looked like he would come in 2nd until the last 25 meters when he hit the turbo boosters and touched the wall first creating a new world record. He also beat his personal best by over a second. When asked in an interview after the race he was asked how he felt about helping Michael Phelps create history he replied, "I didn't do it for Michael Phelps. I did it for me."

The drummers in the opening ceremony blew me away. I couldn't believe how exact they were. It was amazing.

I hate to see it end.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golden spice, we love the olympics and it is truely amaizing to watch. The one story that I like is the gymnist who freaking works for four years to get back and makes one mistake falling off the balance beam and its all over. It is just amaizing the hard work and dedication for a moment of competition!